Sunday, 24 January 2016

A520.2.5.RB - Time Management

A520.2.5.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_ Time Management

As I assessed my time management skills with everything I have going on in my life, I am surprised I am able to accomplish my tasks and goals. From working full time at 630am-230pm, coaching Crossfit at 3pm-4pm and doing my Deputy Marshal Reserve duties from 6pm-11pm, once a month attending drill for the Guam Army National Guard, family time, and of course my graduate course studies it still bedazzles me on how I am able to do it. I will not lie it is very challenging to keep up, however I am accepting the challenge and know it will all be worth it at the end. As Whetten, D. A, & Cameron, K. S describe that two effective ways for time management is focusing on efficiently managing my time and effectively using my time as well. 

I am able to prioritize my work as described in Rule #4 of Whetten, D. A, & Cameron, K. S.  and time by putting them in an order of precedence, from there ensure I provide myself reminders on my phone, calendar, or post it for that matter to ensure that I am on point with work, homework, extracurricular activities and so forth. As days pass, changes can occur, and shift priorities of work. In the military I was able to learn to prioritize and differentiate between urgent and importance when it came to work. Where importance was focusing on a desired result, and urgent falls in line with immediate attention (Whetten, D. A, & Cameron, K. S. 2011).

The skills I was able to develop provided me with taking advantage of every hour of the day, of course there will be setbacks but that just pushes everything (in what we call in the military) to the right, which means at a later time or date. “Studies find that one can use time efficiently and productively by setting short-term and long-term goals, keeping time logs, prioritizing tasks, making to-do lists and scheduling, and organizing one’s workspace” (Grissom, J. A., Loeb, S., & Mitani, H. 2015). As I explained earlier, I take these approaches to hone in on my skills and allow for me to have control over my time management.

I think that three areas where improved time management skills would reduce stress is by (1) setting deadlines before an actual deadline. For example, knowing I can finish my assignments before every Saturday or Sunday at the latest, gives me time to relax and spend time with my family or let alone have “me” time. (2) Would be to reserve time during the day where no one can have access to me, or just personal time for at least half an hour to Forty-Five minutes. This will allow me to think, re-evaluate, and attack the remaining tasks that need to be done. (3). Is to divide up large projects or tasks, in my life and work there are so many things going on with projects and tasks. To divide them would put less stress on my work load and I can focus and produce a detailed and better project instead of stressing and procrastinating or rushing through my work (Whetten, D. A, & Cameron, K. S. 2011).

How my action plan will be implemented is to start writing my tasks and goals for the week every Sunday. From there (which I already do) is to conduct hourly alerts on my phone calendar for the tasks at for each day. I will also look into my big projects that are given on a Friday for me for all my jobs and curricular activities and divide them and ensure that there is a decent amount of time given to work on them. My “me” time will be during my lunch hour. I will designate specific days where instead of going out to lunch with co-workers or others, I would just spend some alone time in the office or at home and be able to execute that time and de-brief and think about the rest of my day or week.




 References:

Grissom, J. A., Loeb, S., & Mitani, H. (2015). Principal time management skills. Journal of Educational Administration, 53(6), 773-793. doi:10.1108/JEA-09-2014-0117

Whetten, D. A, & Cameron, K. S. (2011). Developing Management Skills (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education. Inc./Prentice Hall   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment