Sunday, 24 January 2016

A520.2.3.RB - Conflict Resolution

A520.2.3.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_Conflict Resolution

A successful conflict resolution that I participated in was when I was a deployed Platoon Leader in Afghanistan. During mid deployment my platoon was hand chosen by my command to take on an important mission at another location, where we would be isolated, and our own. The issue was that I had 43 soldiers under me and I was only allowed to take 30, with my platoon all excited to go and wanting very much to go and leave the area we were currently at. My subordinate leaders were guaranteed to go, however the rest of my soldiers were on the chopping block to stay behind.  That means 9 of them would have to stay back and be embedded with another platoon. As much as I wanted to take everybody my hands were tied when it came to taking everyone.  

I gathered my subordinate leaders and told them to hand choose their subordinates, however it came to a difficult decision making process for them and asked me to choose. Now the role that I had to play was the guy who would make the final decision. However, it was very difficult to choose my roster as I loved all my soldiers equally. So I pulled and allowed my soldiers to assist in making my decision and tried to conduct an “accommodating approach” along with a “compromise approach” where I went through satisfying the majority and listened to their recommendations and concerns instead of having a “forcing response” where they would have believed I chose certain soldiers because I favored them and had a personal agenda (Whetten, D. A, & Cameron, K. S. 2011). 

I wanted to show empathy towards my soldiers and meeting their needs (Conflict Resolution, 2008).
So the consensus from my soldiers was to conduct an Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT), and the top scores will be ranked and go through a Merit List which will dictate the decision making on who goes. To me it seemed legitimate and right for this mission because it was deemed dangerous and the best deserved to go. My soldiers conducted their APFT and the top were chosen, no complaints were made, and I got the best performances out of my soldiers from the day that we first arrived in Afghanistan.

I see some areas where I could have improved on handling the conflict. Thinking back at it, I also could have conducted a board, where myself and my subordinate leadership sit on a panel or act as a committee to ask a vary of questions to each soldier, that way as an end result have a more balanced soldier who is both physically and mentally strong. Another approach I could have resolve this was putting the soldiers in a room by themselves and have them figure it out on their own, give them that ownership of making a big decision to this particular conflict my platoon was facing. Ultimately the decision still would fall in my hands regardless of the outcome, I could have over-ruled the decision if I wanted too, but I didn’t, I felt though as long as we all returned home safely, the decision making process that was conducted, no matter what avenue of approach,  was the right one.


References:
Conflict Resolution 2008, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GWmDUKF3o&feature=youtu.be

Whetten, D. A, & Cameron, K. S. (2011). Developing Management Skills (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education. Inc./Prentice Hall   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment